Contestant dies after completing "Wipeout" obstacle course

Wipeout Gameshow Contestant Dies After Completing Obstacle Course

A man competing on the television competition show "Wipeout" died earlier this week after completing an obstacle course while filming the series, sources close to the production told CNN. Then he was treated on-site until paramedics could arrive. The male contestant was later taken to the hospital where he died, according to TMZ.

The show halted production for the rest of the week.

Production was paused Thursday and Friday, and the show was heading into a preplanned week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.

The source notes that all of the show's contestants undergo medical examinations before being cleared to participate.

Wipeout has safeguards and precautions in place on their set.


TBS released a statement that said: 'We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family'.

The reboot, which follows the three rounds and a three-stage, obstacle course "consisting of multiple strategy and decision points created to further challenge and wear out the stamina" of participants, was picked up by TBS earlier this year, and is scheduled to air sometime in 2021.

TBS announced in April that it had ordered 20 episodes of Wipeout, with "new format twists and elements that will push contestants' athleticism and willpower to even greater extremes, all while delivering some pretty epic fails!"

In September, John Cena revealed that he would be hosting "Wipeout" on TBS.

As of this writing, there's no word yet on how this will affect future episodes of the show as it's now in production.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Dwight Howard Talks Married Life on The Rematch Podcast
Howard averaged 7.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in the regular season, as well as 1.1 blocks. Howard was welcomed with open arms for the 2019-20 season, and he played hard all season.

Coronavirus: South Australia lifts lockdown early after contact tracers misled | DW
All the new and suspected cases are already in quarantine, with the total number of people in isolation rising to more than 4500. Nevertheless, the Parafield cluster continued to grow on Friday, with three new cases taking it to 25 confirmed infections.

Djokovic urges government 'support' players over Australian Open preparations
Despite Tennis Australia's optimism, the state government has made it clear that it is "not a done deal". Novak Djokovic is the defending Australian Open champion.

Coronavirus: Europe faces 'six tough months' of pandemic, World Health Organization says
There are regions within WesternEurope that seem to be overcoming the crisis, particularly the lowlands near the English Channel. Cinemas, museums, libraries, zoos and swimming pools are about to be reopened, albeit with limits on the number of people.

New York City schools closing because of rising covid-19 rates
As of the end of October, only about 25% of students had gone to class in school this fall, far fewer than officials had expected. As of midweek, more than 2,300 students or staff at public schools had tested positive since the start of the school year.

Other news