Meghan Markle wins bid to delay court battle with U.K. newspaper

Meghan Markle seeks to postpone trial in privacy suit against paper

The High Court in London has agreed to push back the pre-arranged date "after hearing confidential reasons from Meghan's lawyers", the Evening Standard's court correspondent Tristan Kirk wrote on Twitter on Thursday.

During a hearing in London, Judge Mark Warby granted the duchess of Sussex's application to delay the trial for about nine months, from a scheduled January 11 start date to next fall.

"The primary basis for the application is a confidential ground, the merits of which have been examined in the course of a private hearing", he said.

However, ANL's lawyers did ask the judge to consider the situation of Markle's father, saying he is "elderly and sick" and wants and intends to give evidence at trial.

Granting the application to adjourn the trial, Mr Justice Warby said: "The right decision in all the circumstances is to grant the application to adjourn".

Meghan Markle seeks to postpone trial in privacy suit against paper
Trial of Meghan Markle's privacy claim against newspaper postponed

The Duchess of Sussex, 39, is suing the Mail on Sunday for publishing excerpts of a letter she sent to her father, Thomas Markle. He also reports that the summary judgement decision will be "heard at a later date" and Meghan's application to appeal a previous ruling regarding the defense's use of the biography Finding Freedom, was "refused".

The latest proceedings saw the newspaper group, which publishes the Mail on Sunday and the Mail Online, emerge victorious after they were granted permission to argue Meghan and Harry assisted authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand who recently published a book documenting their exit from the royal firm.

Jane Phillips, representing Markle, told Mr Justice Warby: "The new case ought not to have been allowed".

"Applying for summary judgment could potentially bring the case to an earlier conclusion and wouldn't require a full trial, which would be the preferred option", a source close to Meghan explained "What started as a lawsuit over a private letter has escalated into something much bigger, and there is a feeling that a line needs to be drawn".

She added that the new case was "not only a stab in the dark, but it was a stab in the dark in the wrong room".


Related:

Comments

Latest news

Bale starts in Tottenham's loss to Royal Antwerp
Spurs never threatened an equaliser, despite some late territorial, and continue a quirky record of never having won in Belgium . As for Antwerp, former Norwich City striker Dieumerci Mbokani starts up front with Lior Refaelov offering support.

United States unemployment claims fall to 751000, virus resurges
Unemployment claims have been drifting downward in recent months, but they remain far higher than they were prior to the pandemic. More than 59,000 MA residents filed first-time unemployment claims last week, according to U.S.

Tamar Braxton's Ex Says He Can't Release Car Attack Video, Camera Smashed
Tamar Braxton is opening up about her suicide attempt over the summer. "He was an incredible , awesome partner", she says. She then alleged, "I wish he had some type of integrity for me and keep whatever happened in our relationship private".

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Opens Up About Running for President
The 31-year-old said that her home address had been published online and that authorities had reported death plots against her. Another photo shows a shoot taking place on the Bronx Street, where Ocasio-Cortez grew up.

Kajal Aggarwal shares glimpse of her Mehndi ceremony
On Tuesday, Kajal had shared a few photos with her sister Nisha Aggarwal as they were looking forward to the wedding festivities. Kajal's To- be- husband also shared a post on his social media handle before the beginning of the wedding festivities.

Other news