85 new COVID-19 cases in Manitoba, Winnipeg continues to spike

Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba look to ramp up restrictions as COVID caseload nears 200K

25 people are now in hospital with five people being treated in intensive care according to public health. He also said only tables of five or less will be allowed at restaurants.

There are now 1,648 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, with 1,418 of those in Winnipeg, 1,572 people are listed as recovered.

"We need to make this change, this sacrifice for two weeks". He later added that the measures could be extended if numbers don't drop.

As hospitals admit a weekly average of 870 patients per day, Dr. Theresa Tam urged Canadians to do their part to reduce the burden on the health-care system by getting their flu shot as the seasonal virus converges with the second wave of the pandemic.

"Our best bet to keep everyone safer is to layer on all the protections we have available", Tam said at a news conference Friday.

The total number of lab-confirmed cases stands at 3,258. The province has also seen deaths reported nearly every day for the last week. The region now has the greatest rate of active cases per capita, although its case count is well below the more populous provinces of Quebec, Ontario and Alberta. It was well over 1,000 on Friday.

On Friday, Manitoba reported 75 new COVID-19 cases, 63 of which are in Winnipeg.


Roussin also said the province may increase fines that can be levied to anyone breaking the rules.

Public health is continuing to advise Winnipeg residents and visitors to the city to stay home if sick, wash your hands, cover your cough and physically distance when you are with people outside your household.

Roussin will be speaking at 2:00 p.m. via a Livestream. "There was too much high-fiving going on", he said.

"There's only so many repayable loans, low-interest loans, before they sit there and have to ask themselves the hard question - is it just easier to shut the doors?"

In addition, restaurants and retail stores will only be allowed to operate at 50% capacity.

"We're drowning, and they just put their foot on our head", said Shaun Jeffrey, the association's executive director.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Sixty dollar experimental vaccine rolled out in east Chinese city
The mechanism of the supply chain should also be redefined so that the distribution turns out equitably. Worldwide, there are 40 candidates in the race of vaccination.

Gary Lineker responds to Liverpool FC's 2-2 draw at Everton
Everton's Brazilian forward Richarlison was sent off in the 90th minute after a wild challenge on Thiago Alcantara. Henderson snapped afterwards: "It must be offside because the VAR that everyone wants said it was offside".

Australia-New Zealand Travel Bubble Hits a Snag
"I have written to the prime minister this morning and we're disappointed this has happened". We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information.

Bale rejected higher offer from Man United before Madrid move ― Moyes
He targeted Bale to be his first signing at the club, offering more money than Madrid and having a helicopter on standby for Bale. This isn't to say, however, that United didn't do all they could to bring Bale to Old Trafford, as Moyes has now revealed.

"Brexit talks are over" - Johnson
Johnson had previously said October 15 would be the deadline for assessing whether there was a clear path to a trade deal. Britain has not commented on that timetable.

Other news