Champion Rafael Nadal withdraws from US Open amid COVID-19 concerns

Champion Rafael Nadal withdraws from US Open amid COVID-19 concerns

"The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, (and) it looks like we still don't have control of it".

The US Open in NY, scheduled for August 31 through September 13, will be followed a fortnight later by the French Open at Roland Garros.

Thiem is a three-time Grand Slam finalist, having fallen to Djokovic in this year's Australian Open championship match and to Nadal in the 2018-19 Roland Garros finals.

Now 127th in the ATP leaderboard, the 22-year-old Nagal is the last player to made it into the field of 128.

Notably, Swiss ace Roger Federer will also be absent after he underwent a knee surgery in June that ended his 2020 season.


RAFAEL NADAL: I am the defending champion there, but my personal feeling, my heart says today it's not the moment to have this long travels without knowing exactly what can happen or what can't happen.

Nadal's decision to skip the US Open was perhaps made easier by the proximity of the postponed French Open at the end of September. According to the journalist Christopher Clarey, Nadal appears in the list of players for the US Open 2020 after the registration period closed this Monday.

Rafael Nadal is the current world number 2 and the defending champion of the U.S. Open. The women's side of the draw includes 13 Grand Slam Champions, including Serena Williams who'll be chasing her 24th Grand Slam title.

Organizers confirmed that world number one and three-time victor Novak Djkovic would be among those playing, alongside last year's finalist Medvedev and fellow top 10 stars including Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev. He is the only Indian in the men's field, with No. 132 Prajnesh Gunneswaran missing out. The U.S. Open organisers (USTA) are creating a bio-secure "bubble" in NY to hold the tournament without spectators. Nagal said, "Nice to enter the Grand Slam main draw again".

But following Nadal's announcement he broke his silence on the controversial exhibition event Novak Djokovic hosted, which resulted in the World No.1, Dimitrov, Coric and Viktor Troicki all testing positive for the coronavirus, as did the wives of Djokovic and Troicki following the event. 'He said, ' I do not have many expectations.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. Placed on Indefinite Leave
The woman, who is pregnant, is his wife's assistant, he added, describing the picture as "in good fun". "So gross, so hypocritical".

First impressions: Apple's 2020 27-inch imac
The high-end model has a 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 with Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB GDDR6 that can Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz. All the 21.5-inch models get 256GB as standard, but it can be switched with a 1TB Fusion Drive (SSHD) for no additional cost.

Facebook COO blames Apple for restrictions in gaming app for iOS users
There are options open to them - such as changing the core functionality of their service that prevents users from buying games - as Valve did with Steam Link.

Class Of 83 Trailer Is Out And Bobby Deol Is Brilliant
Class of 83 has been directed by Atul Sabharwal and bankrolled by Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment. Class of 83 is the first original film which is produced by Shah Rukh Khan to be released on Netflix.

Juventus eliminated from Champions League despite victory over Lyon
Agnelli added that the club's management will now "take a few days to evaluate everything" following the Champions League's exit. Italian club Juventus sacked manager Maurizio Sarri on Saturday, a day after being knocked out of the UEFA Champions League.

Other news