Facebook is shuttering an app called Lasso, created as a rival to TikTok, less than two years after its USA launch.
Despite launching in the US and several other countries in 2018, Lasso has failed to gain traction with users.
Facebook confirmed its plan to close the app to MailOnline. Facebook is now urging Lasso users to download videos they would like to keep, since they will no longer be available to access after July 10.
Reels, which like TikTok lets users share punchy short video with music, will have the benefit of being branded with Instagram, which has a billion users. Among these was TikTok, which had been one of the top free apps in India at the time.
Interestingly, Lasso added support for the Hindi language earlier this year, prompting speculation that Facebook may eventually bring the new app to India. But don't get anxious, Facebook's not providing up its normal methods - it has one more TikTok clone waiting in the wings.
Lasso is not the only app that Facebook is sunsetting though as TechCrunch has also reported that Facebook is shutting down Hobbi, an experimental Pinterest-like app created to help people document personal projects. A Facebook spokesperson confirmed the shutdown in a statement to PCMag.
In contrast, Hobbi was developed by Facebook's, which is focused on learning and market research rather than necessarily creating successful apps. Facebook has placed multiple bets across its family of applications, trying to learn how people want to express themselves and Lasso was one such experiment for the social media giant.
Thus, while Facebook foresaw Hobbi's potential demise, the failure of Lasso was much less anticipated.
Melbourne locks down tower blocks as cases rise
The permits would made made available to "anyone who feels they will be impacted too much" by the closure. The state of Victoria recorded 108 new cases on Saturday, its second-biggest daily increase .
Rocket Attack Targets Baghdad's Green Zone
Iraqi government officials said the raid would help deter future attacks -- but on Saturday night militants made another attempt. USA officials have said that Iran-backed militia have attacked US facilities in Iraq, including the embassy, with rockets.