Coronavirus: Six More Deaths And 23 New Cases In Republic

BREAKING

There has been one further death as a result of Covid-19 in Northern Ireland.

On Saturday the chief medical officer said the number of new coronavirus cases in younger people was a concern.

The death toll there stands at 1,735, with a total of 25,439 confirmed cases, its Department of Health says.

While this is welcome news it comes with a worrying rise in cases as the HPSC has been notified of 24 new cases of the virus.

"I can not emphasise enough how important it is to remain informed, keep a 2m distance from others and follow the public health advice on hand washing, cough and sneeze hygiene, and wearing face coverings".

Dr. Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said: "Each person should risk assess their own environment to inform their personal decisions and actions during this pandemic". Many countries around the world are still experiencing high and increasing levels of this disease.

"The risk of imported cases remains high. It's important that continue to avoid all unnecessary travel at this time".


"Socialising is important for your mental and physical wellbeing, but it's important that you are safe while doing so".

Speaking yesterday evening, he said: "We would like people not to travel".

"I was in very good health, but it was a very tough battle".

Deputy Chief Medical Office Ronan Glynn confirmed that Ireland saw six cases associated with worldwide travel on Monday, stating that the "risk of imported cases remains high".

Gyms, swimming pools and other exercise facilities can also re-open, while all team sports - including close contact sports - can resume.

Dr Holohan commented, "COVID-19 is an infection that affects all ages and it is incumbent on all of us to take our individual responsibility seriously".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Harper's COVID-19 cases spread to Grosse Pointe
The majority of those who tested positive actually went to the bar while five were merely exposed to people who went. The bar opted to close down temporarily to install air purifiers and to eliminate lines, according to the statement.

Barcelona and Juventus confirm Arthur, Pjanic swap deals
The swap deal of Miralem Pjanic and Arthur Melo between Juventus and Barcelona has been completed, the two clubs have confirmed. Juventus said it paid a EUR72 million transfer fee for Arthur that could rise to EUR82 million with bonuses.

Nitin Menon becomes the youngest umpire to join ICC Elite Panel
I also feel this is a responsibility on me to take Indian umpires forward and help them by sharing my experiences. This is reflected in the fact that he already has featured in three Tests, 24 ODIs and 16 T20Is in men's cricket.

People without face masks on Miami South Beach to be fined $50
Jay Inslee introduced Saturday he's hitting the pause button on the state's reopening program owing to increasing situations. California Governor Gavin Newsom said there was an increase in younger groups testing positive for the virus last week.

Iran: 13 dead in explosion at Tehran medical clinic
Parchin is a site suspected of having hosted conventional explosion tests applicable to nuclear power, which the country denies. Deputy governor of Tehran has told local media that a possible gas leak led to a fire and explosion.

Other news