Iran has issued an arrest warrant for President Donald Trump over the United States drone strike that killed its most powerful military commander, Qasem Soleimani, Fars news agency reported Monday.
Iranian prosecutor Ali Alqaismehr made the remarks during a meeting today with high-ranking judicial officials, saying arrest warrants had been issued for 36 individuals including politicians and military officials from the USA and other governments. Tehran considers it an act of state terrorism.
However, Iran's Alqasimehr said Iran would continue to pursue Trump's prosecution even after his presidency.
According to reports, Trump is one of 36 people who had warrants issued for their arrest. A request for assistance will be sent to Interpol, Tehran's chief prosecutor said, adding that President Trump tops the list of suspects.
Interpol, however, told AFP that any such intervention would be contrary to its constitution, without directly confirming it had been contacted by Iran.
The worldwide agency outlines in its guidance they are forbidden from "undertaking any intervention or activities of a political" nature.
The U.S. killed Soleimani, who oversaw the Revolutionary Guard's expeditionary Quds Force, and others in the January strike near Baghdad International Airport.
Brian Hook, the USA pointman on Iran policy, scoffed at the Iranian request to Interpol as a "propaganda stunt".
Tehran Prosecutor General Ali Alqasi-Mehr has said that 36 individuals have been identified in connection with the USA assassination of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani.
"We see it for what it is".
"This is another political stunt by the Iranian regime".
"General Soleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region", the Pentagon said at the time, calling the strike "decisive defensive" action aimed at deterring future Iranian attacks.
In the early hours of January 8, the IRGC fired dozens of ballistic missiles at a military airbase hosting USA forces in Iraq as part of its promised "tough revenge" for the US terrorist attack.
South Florida Beaches to Be Closed for July 4 Weekend
He said he came to the decision after speaking to the county's public health experts and based on the current virus situation. Broward is now reporting 15,645 new cases and Palm Beach County now totals 13,711 confirmed coronavirus cases.
New "smart" gadget was made in view of the pandemic
What's more, presently, while the COVID-19 pandemic is as yet influencing a few nations, we have a brilliant veil. When customers buy the mask, they will be required to download the App which will have paid subscription services.
Pakistan to arrive in England on Sunday, then quarantine
Pakistan fast bowler Musa Khan and under-19 captain Rohail Nazir were among five reserve players and both tested negative. After their arrival to Manchester, the squad will be transported to Worcestershire where they will undergo testing.