McLaren to furlough staff due to Covid-19 pandemic

Coronavirus: McLaren announces pay cuts for F1 drivers and management

Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris have both taken voluntary pay cuts while a number of McLaren team members have been furloughed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The McLaren Group is temporarily furloughing a number of employees as part of wider cost-cutting measures due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on its business", said an official spokesperson for McLaren.

The McLaren group, which includes the luxury carmaker and applied technology arm, employs nearly 4000 people.

The McLaren Group has also placed considerable numbers of its staff on the United Kingdom government's furlough scheme, whereby they are no longer required to work but they will receive 80% of their pay up to £2,500 and are guaranteed to return to their jobs when the crisis is over.

With the first eight races of the new Formula 1 season having been postponed or cancelled, teams are facing increased financial pressures because of the lack of track action.

Britain has ordered 10,000 of the breathing machines.


McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown also volunteered to take a pay cut. The mandatory factory shutdown period has been extended to three weeks and moved forward from August to be taken by the end of April, a spell that is likely to be extended in order to reduce overheads.

The team spokesman said British 20-year-old Norris and Spaniard Sainz were adamant they too wanted to play their part.

British finance minister Rishi Sunak announced last month that furloughed workers can claim 80% of their wages up to 2,500 pounds ($3,100) per month. The current chassis will also be used next year to save money.

McLaren boasts the second most successful Formula 1 team after Ferrari in terms of races and championships won.

Formula One teams, unless owned by vehicle manufacturers, derive much of their budget from the sport's revenues, prize money and sponsorship and face a major financial hit if races do not happen.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

CDC reviews face mask guidelines
Since the beginning of the outbreak, experts across the country have said face masks do little to protect against the disease. The Surgeon General Jerome Adams warned in March that people needed to stop buying masks.

Female Doctors Attacked With Stones While Screening COVID-19 Patients In Indore
The police officials further said that two women doctors were injured in the attack while adding that a case has been registered. As many as 54 families of Tat Patti Bakhal have been isolated after two confirmed coronavirus cases reported from the area.

Coronavirus: US jobless claims hit 6.6 million as virus spreads
That has forced most businesses to close - bringing the economy to a lurching halt and throwing millions of people out of work. Much of the country has been ordered to stay at home for at least several weeks to help fight the spread of the coronavirus.

Cruise bookings are on the rise for 2021 despite coronavirus
Healthy passengers, including 72-year-old Judith Glover from Merry Hill, Wolverhampton, have been transferred to the Rotterdam . Mr DeSantis initially refused to allow the two ships to dock because he did not want sick passengers "dumped" in his state.

'Top Gun' movie sequel moved to December as coronavirus hits home
Other major delays have so-far included Mulan, Black Widow, No Time to Die, Wonder Woman 1984, and Fast and Furious 9 . Top Gun: Maverick was originally set to open June 24 but will now hit theaters December 23 instead.

Other news