Huawei warns China will hit back against United States sanctions

Huawei warns China will strike back against new U.S. restrictions

Xu, however, predicted 2020 would be the most hard year yet for the company because of the US measures and warned that further export restrictions could destroy global tech supply chains.

Roughly 240m smartphones from its consumer business division were shipped in 2019, further developing its Seamless AI Life ecosystem with increased integration across laptops, smart screens, wearables and others, the company reported, adding that revenue sales from consumer business also jumped 34 percent YoY, totalling $66.9bn (467.3).

The world's largest telecoms equipment provider released figures from sales revenues across numerous divisions on Tuesday, with high-level executives weighing in on the company's performance amid USA trade restrictions and the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic.

Huawei's enterprise business wing supported the digital transformation of over 700 cities and 228 Fortune Global 500 companies according to figures, as well as establishing numerous joint 5G innovation centres globally. Under the Foreign Direct Product Rule, the US can place export controls over products that contain 25% or more USA -origin content by value.

Huawei's ties to the communist Chinese government have resulted in the firm's inclusion on the entity list.

Sanctions approved by President Donald Trump in May will, if fully enforced, cut off access to most USA components and technology.

"Once Pandora's Box is open, it may be devastating not only to Huawei, but to the globalized industrial ecology", he added, expecting that "the global industry chain can work together to provide trusted products to global customers".

Demand for Huawei smartphones in markets outside China weakened "very fast" after the May 16 order, Xu said. He said its consumer unit lost at least an estimated $10 billion in potential sales, but the business started to bounce back in the final quarter of 2019. It needs to persuade developers to write applications for its new system, a challenge in an industry dominated by Android and Apple's iOS-based applications.


Xu said Huawei hopes Google applications can run on the Chinese company's system and be distributed on the American company's online store.

Donald Trump's administration is now preparing fresh measures to limit the supply of chips to the firm.

"Even if this situation you mentioned happened, Huawei and also other Chinese companies can choose to buy chipsets from Samsung from [South] Korea, MTK from Taiwan, and in China, and use those companies to develop chips", Xu said when asked about an alleged plan of the Trump administration to torpedo Huawei's supply from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.

The company has unveiled its own processor chips and smartphone operating system, reducing its vulnerability to American export controls.

Earlier this year the government revealed that Huawei would be allowed to play a part in the UK's own 5G network.

Its chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, who is Ren's daughter is being held in Vancouver, Canada, for possible extradition to face United States charges related to accusations Huawei violated trade sanctions on Iran.

Separately, U.S. prosecutors have charged Huawei with theft of trade secrets, accusations the company denies.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Trump shifts to worry over oil rout, discusses prices with Putin
Both leaders "agreed on the importance of stability in global energy markets", the White House said in a statement. Both sides have indicated that they can wait out a price crash.

Coronavirus patients 'still infectious for 8 days after recovery
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the risk for infection will increase as the outbreak expands. The study also determined that the death rate was much higher for patients who experienced heart issues.

64 new cases of COVID-19 reported across Alberta
Specific details regarding the local cases such as gender, age, and if they've recently travelled were not released by AHS. According to the most recent government update, the COVID-19 pandemic in Alberta has resulted in five new deaths.

National Basketball Association planning a players-only National Basketball Association 2K tournament
The video-game participants, released Tuesday afternoon, have been seeded by their 2K rating followed by tenure in the league. On March 11, following Rudy Gobert's positive test for COVID-19, the league suspended play indefinitely.

Britain's NHS invites aircrews to help at London's coronavirus field hospital
The volunteers are now going through selection and being given further training to care for coronavirus patients. Manchester, meanwhile, will also provide an initial 500 beds, with a capacity to increase it up to 1,000 beds.

Other news