Dr. Marko had wacky coronavirus plan to infect Red Bull drivers!

Helmut Marko

Red Bull Racing motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has addressed the issue previously, though his initial-and radical-idea of purposely exposing his team's drivers to the sickness failed to garner support within the paddock.

"The idea was to organize a camp where we could bridge this mentally and physically somewhat dead time", Marko told an Austrian TV station.

The 76-year-old's idea, which has sparked outrage within the team, was to gather Max Verstappen and Alexander Albon together with AlphaTauri's Daniil Kvyat and Pierre Gasly, plus several junior proteges, in a so-called "corona camp", so that they would transmit Covid-19 to each other and, in theory, stand a better chance of being in peak physical condition when races resumed. "They are all strong young men in peak health".

"That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts, and you can be ready for what will probably be a very tough championship once it starts".

Austria is due to host a grand prix at the Red Bull Ring on July 5 but that too remains uncertain.

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey had said last week that they are expecting to run a shortened season of 15-18 races once racing starts after the coronavirus pandemic, which has brought entire sporting calendar to a grinding halt. Marko said that there would be no possibility to improve fitness during the season.


Helmut Marko made the startling admission while speaking with Austrian broadcaster ORF, explaining he had planned to organize a training camp to ensure drivers and team members would be in ideal physical condition once the season eventually resumes.

Unsurprisingly, Marko's Red Bull entourage was unimpressed with the absurd scheme.

"I believe Max Verstappen drives more races at the moment than in a normal season", Marko said. "So it's ideal to use this time now". At the same time, the drivers all have their own physios, which they use for fitness exercises. That's ideal for working out now.

Marko added he had what he thought was a "heavy cold" in February but now thinks it could have been coronavirus symptoms.

Six races have also been postponed and the showcase Monaco Grand Prix in May canceled.

"What is critical, however, is that all European borders have to be reopened, because viewers from all over the world come to such an worldwide event".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

2nd Avs player tests positive for COVID-19
The NHL, under the advisement of medical personnel, has discouraged mass testing of players who have not shown symptoms. It's the second positive test among Avalanche players, following Thursday's announcement of an initial confirmed case.

British boxer Billy Joe Saunders apologises for domestic violence advice video
I am a very straight, honest person, I don't beat around the bush. It's one step forward, four steps back with Billy Joe Saunders . You can not do it. "I will be donating £25,000.

Johnson & Johnson: Coronavirus vaccine testing to begin by September
The first batches of a COVID-19 vaccine could be available for emergency use authorisation in early 2021, the company said. President Trump has placed his hope in the malaria drug hydroxycholoroquine, which is now being tested in the US.

Country artist John Prine hospitalized with COVID-19
Prine is the latest singer to be diagnosed with coronavirus after several other musicians announced their diagnosis. Most recently, he was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2013 and had part of a lung removed.

Mnuchin: Americans will begin to see $1,200 checks 'within three weeks'
Mnuchin told "Fox News Sunday" that he believes that by the third quarter of 2020, Americans will see an economic recovery with production and employment levels back up. "We're gonna re-open this economy".

Other news