The Open to return to Scotland's Royal Troon in 2023

It will be the 10th time the Scottish course has hosted the game's oldest major

In the first Open at Royal Troon, Arthur Havers defeated the legend Walter Hagen by a single stroke.

The Open will return to Royal Troon in 2023, exactly 100 years after the Championship was first staged at the Ayrshire links.

Troon will host the Open for the 10th time and the first since a dazzling duel between Henrik Stenson and American great Phil Mickelson in 2016.

All associated with Royal Lytham and St Annes are hoping the same sentiment is shown towards the famous Linksgate course in 2026 - the 100th anniversary of the first Open on the Fylde, when Bobby Jones was crowned champion.

"It will be fascinating to see who will emerge from the world class field to lift the Claret Jug in 2023".


There was disappointment on the Fylde 12 months ago when Royal Liverpool was chosen ahead of RL&SA to host the 2022 Open, even though it has staged the event as recently as 2014.

The last Open at Royal Troon was worth an estimated £110 million to the Scottish economy.

"We are delighted to welcome the return of the world's oldest major championship to Royal Troon and regard this as confirmation of the wonderful condition to which our historic links are maintained".

St Andrews has already been confirmed to host the 2025 Open and with the R&A unlikely to stage the event in Scotland for three years running, Royal Portrush or one of the English courses would be favourite for 2024.

Joe FitzPatrick, Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing, said, "I am delighted that The R&A has made a decision to hold The 152nd Open in Scotland, the Home of Golf, in 2023".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

China coronavirus: Death toll rises as disease spreads
Officials said the man is his 50s and recently flew from Wuhan, China to Guangzhou , China and then on to Toronto on January 23. The pneumonia outbreak was first reported in Wuhan City, central China's Hubei Province, in December 2019.

Sixth patient confirmed to have coronavirus is husband to existing patient
The sudden increases of cases in Italy, the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of Korea are deeply concerning. There have been almost 50 deaths outside China, including 12 in Italy and 19 in Iran, according to a Reuters tally.

Coronavirus case may be 1st from unknown origin
The drug being tested in the trial, remdesivir, was previously tested in humans for Ebola and in animals for MERS and SARS. A placebo group will receive a solution that resembles remdesivir but contains only inactive ingredients, the NIH said.

Riot police clash with residents on Greek islands over new migrant camps
The island of Lesbos is expected to continue rallies on Wednesday afternoon against the new camps for a second day in a row. On Lesbos, protesters set fire to trash bins and used municipal garbage trucks to try and block off the port area.

Sick crew member on cruise ship headed to Cayman placed in isolation
It said no passengers had shown evidence of the Covid-19 virus. "We have not been asked to stay in the rooms". The Meraviglia reached the West Coast of Cozumel on Wednesday night around 9:30 p.m.

Other news