Coronavirus outbreak: World Health Organization officially names disease Covid-19

WHO names deadly coronavirus disease 'COVID-19'

WHO has renamed the 2019-nCoV to COVID-19, under agreed guidelines between WHO, the World Organisation for Animal Health and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations to represent the entire viral outbreak under one category as "Corona Virus Disease" (COVID). Most of the cases and most of the deaths are in Hubei province, Wuhan by 11 Feb 2020.

Tedros was speaking at a press conference in Geneva, at the conclusion of a two-day research and innovation forum on COVID-19, during which leading health experts from around the world met to assess the current level of knowledge about the new disease, identify gaps and work together, so that critical research can begin immediately.

He said all countries should be "as aggressive as possible" and not allow the virus space for regional transmission.

"Having a name matters to prevent the use of other names that can be inaccurate or stigmatizing", he said. They said that Covid-19, the name, gives them a standard format for talking about coronavirus outbreaks.

As of Wednesday morning, Geneva time, there were 44,730 cases of COVID-19 in China, with 1,114 deaths.


"Viruses can have more powerful consequences than any terrorist action", he said but also claimed that we have a "chance of stopping this outbreak".

This week's christening comes as the coronavirus death toll surpasses 1,000; more than 43,000 cases have been reported in China and overseas. WHO Director-General Tedros Adnom told more than 400 researchers attending the meeting, "99% of the cases in China have posed a serious threat not only to this country but to the rest of the world".

He added that a WHO-led advance team that travelled to China earlier this week had made "good progress" on the composition and scope of its work.

While reiterating that now is a window opportunity to fight the disease as most of the cases have so far remained in China, Tedros also expressed his concerns for the virus to spread to the countries with weaker public health system, which he said "will create havoc".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Ericsson to skip mobile trade show over coronavirus
The list of organizations passing on MWC under the current circumstances now includes NIVIDIA along with Ericsson and LG. The MWC event, which is scheduled to take place from 24 to 27 February, will be held in Barcelona, Spain.

Authorities Identify Dead Man Linked to Disappearance and Death of Faye Swetlik
Antley declined to say what that clue was, but said it would have been something on Faye's missing person flyer. The Lexington County Coroner, which identified Scott at a press conference on Friday, is conducting autopsies.

Celebrity attorney Michael Avenatti convicted in Nike extortion case
He'll go on trial again in April on NY charges that he stole a book advance intended for Daniels, who fired him. With his conviction, Avenatti could face more than 40 years in prison and is expected to be disbarred.

BTS to Revel New Song Feb
Typically, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon features multiple guests and a performer in the studio. The album includes the single "Black Swan", which BTS released a dance practice video for last week.

112-year-old Japanese recognized as world's oldest living man by Guinness
He has five children, 12 grandchildren, 16 great grandchildren and one great-great grandchild, according to his family. A lover of bonsai, the man grew the small trees and even exhibited them at local museums and art fairs until 2007.

Other news