Harvey Weinstein Reaches Settlement With Sexual Misconduct Survivors

Harvey Weinstein wearing a suit and tie Harvey Weinstein arriving at court in Manhattan last year

It's been two years since the #MeToo movement struck down Harvey Weinstein, the now-disgraced Hollywood film producer who was accused of sexual harassment, and in some cases rape, by dozens of women.

Weinstein is not admitting wrongdoing under the accord, which requires approval by a federal bankruptcy judge, and insurers would fund much of the settlement.

Two years ago, an investor group nearly bought the assets of the Weinstein Co, then near bankruptcy, in a deal that would have included a victims' compensation fund worth up to US$90 million.

"What's most offensive is that they're trying to force our client to settle", Wigdor said.

.

"None of us has any interest in strong-arming any survivor into the settlement", said Elizabeth Fegan, a lawyer representing nine Weinstein accusers and a proposed class of accusers, said in an email. He is still set to appear in court sometime in January to contend with sexual assault charges involving two women.

Preliminary legal rulings against several plaintiffs, protective liability laws for boards, and previous failed settlement attempts put the accusers in a weak bargaining position, the Times reports.

This payout would also be part of a larger settlement of $47 million, the majority of which would be used to close out the Weinstein Company's obligations before it completely goes under, according to the Times.


The tentative settlement reached on Wednesday is a fraction of what the victims could have received had the 2017 deal gone through. Because of the statutes limitations related to sexual assault, numerous women who say they suffered due to his actions were not able to press formal charges; others may have chosen to forego such a process for other reasons.

"There isn't enough money we'd like to see made available to the victims". Instead, Weinstein Co.'s insurance would pay some of the money.

She wrote a bold statement that couldn't be missed.

Anti-sexual harassment campaign group Time's Up tweeted: "If this is the best the survivors could get, the system is broken".

Ratajkowski has actually verbal inside her disdain when it comes to embattled film mogul and also took to Twitter to discuss him. Weinstein was present in court in NY on Wednesday, where he was photographed using a walker, pointing to the 67-year-old's apparent declining health.

Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon told the court Weinstein had dozens of monitoring violations, arising from moments when a device was either out of cell service range or left at home.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

CB Janoris Jenkins has been waived/injured by Giants
Shortly after the release, Shurmur indicated that the cornerback's lack of contrition led to the decision to move on. You know what I'm saying, we use all kinds of words for all kinds of slang . "So I always speak freely as a man".

Anthony Joshua reveals when he will fight Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury
However, Whyte was allowed to fight by British regulators despite having failed a drug test during the week of the fight. Whyte was added to the card just weeks earlier, although his doping case had yet to be resolved.

Ronaldinho names three players better than Messi
The Argentina global is considered by many to be the best player in football history, with his exploits soaring beyond anything we've seen before.

Apple today launches iPhone financing plan for Apple Card users
The six percent savings will be delivered as Daily Cash in the Apple Wallet app, transferred to the Apple Cash card. But it applies to any Apple Store purchases - online and in-store - made through December 31.

AG William Barr's Role In Protecting Trump
Another criticism of the surveillance court has been that it is viewed as a virtual rubber-stamp for Government requests. Democrats have focused on Horowitz's determination that a probe was warranted and wasn't driven by political bias.

Other news