ATP hands Nick Kyrgios 16-week ban for poor behaviour

Nick Kyrgios handed suspended 16-week ban for Cincinnati Masters outburst

That triggered an investigation from the ATP and the governing body found Kyrgios "committed aggravated behavior" and was guilty of a "pattern of behavior" when it came to verbally abusing officials or spectators.

Taking to his official Instagram account, Kyrgios told his fans to stay relaxed, while promising to be on his "best behaviour" to avoid triggering the sanctions, though insisting he will not take any of the fun out of his playing style.

Controversial tennis star Nick Kyrgios is once again in the news for all the wrong reasons as he was slapped with a 16-week and an additional fine of $25000 by ATP following his on-field antics during the Western and Southern Open in August.

The ban, along with a further fine of 25,000 dollars (approximately £20,000), will kick in if Kyrgios commits a similar offence within a six-month period, while he must also agree to continued support from a mental coach during tournaments and seek extra help from a specialist in behavioural management before the end of the year.

Tennis great Rod Laver this month called for Kyrgios to be suspended over bad behaviour, saying his fellow Australian appeared not to be learning from his mistakes.

He has the right to lodge an appeal against the decision within the next five working days. Kyrgios asked of the Irish umpire at the time.


The ATP said it also looked into comments by Kyrgios, 24, at the US Open, where he said the ATP was "pretty corrupt", but determined the remarks did not constitute a "major offense" and hasn't applied further penalties.

Kyrgios, who boasts a long list of misdemeanours, was scheduled to play the China Open next week but pulled out on Thursday, citing a collarbone injury.

Earlier on Thursday, Kyrgios announced he would return to Australia for an unspecified period of recovery.

"Unfortunately a collarbone injury I sustained at Laver Cup has escalated and has forced me to pull out of the Asian swing", Kyrgios wrote on Twitter.

"I'll be heading back to Australia to rest and recover".

Kyrgios was looking good in his match against Andreas Seppi at the Zhuhai Championships, rushing out to a 4-1 lead in the first set. "See you all soon", he added.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Russian GP: Leclerc takes fourth pole in a row
Ferrari were unexpectedly quick in Singapore, their auto performing strongly through the slow corners, and appear to have made a real step forward.

Endeavor postpones planned US IPO
The company has been criticized due to heavy losses and it's now battling a $300 million lawsuit over its music licensing fees. Peloton brought in $915 million in sales year-to-date, with losses hitting $245.7 million in the same time frame.

Hurricane tracker: The 4 systems churning across the globe - Hurricane Lorenzo strengthens
Of the storms this season, which runs from June through October, four storms, including Lorenzo, have turned into hurricanes. Elsewhere , Tropical Storm Karen strengthened slightly Thursday about 405 miles (650 kilometers) south-southeast of Bermuda.

OnePlus finally reveals its smart TV in full
OnePlus touts that the waterdrop notch on the OP7T is 31.46% smaller than the notch found on the OnePlus 6T . OnePlus 7T uses the exact same charging brick as the OnePlus 7 Pro - the one branded OnePlus Warp Charge 30.

Kanye West hosts surprise event at Fox Theatre in Detroit
Some are guessing that West will not only release the album tonight, but also a documentary about his life alongside it . The other September 27 albums were posted shortly after midnight ET - and there was no " Jesus Is King ".

Other news