Obi-Wan Series Confirmed for Disney+; Filming Expected in 2020

Star Wars filmmaker Kathleen Kennedy and franchise vet Ewan McGregor took the stage at the close of the D23 Expo on Friday evening to announce/confirm that the Scottish actor will reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a live-action series for Disney+.

The series could theoretically help fill the character's gap between 2005's Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and 1977's A New Hope, which has otherwise been filled with non-cinematic stories such as through the Star Wars Rebels animated series. Two years ago, Stephen Daldry was reportedly in line to direct a Obi-Wan film. That would place it within the timeline of Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Are you excited to see the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series?

McGregor previously played Obi-wan in the three Star Wars prequels, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith.


"Ask me", said Ewan McGregor, making an appearance at the the D23 Expo. The series which hails from Jon Favreau also stars Gina Carano, Giancarlo Esposito, Emily Swallow, Carl Weathers, Omid Abtahi, Werner Herzog, and Nick Nolte. First up is The Mandalorian which will feature Pedro Pascal as a lone gunslinger after the events of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

The untitled Obi-Wan series will be one of several Star Wars shows on the new streaming service, with others including The Mandalorian and a Rogue One spin-off starring Diego Luna. If it begins filming next year, it could arrive on Disney+ in 2021 or 2022.

McGregor has said for years he'd be open to returning the Star Wars role.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Volkswagen Denies It's Interested In Buying Stake In Tesla
This investment would represent around one third of all expenditure for the 2019-2023 period that Volkswagen has planned. However, since then, Volkswagen spokesman Pietro Zollino has refuted these claims, calling them "completely unfounded".

Prime Minister's partner Carrie Symonds blocked from U.S. visit
But a diplomatic source told the outlet: "We're hopeful this would possibly perhaps perhaps moreover be sorted out in time for Ms. The request was blocked by United States officials, the Daily Mail reported, because of a previous visit to Somaliland.

Trump Hits Back at ‘Nut Job’ Scaramucci: Administration ‘Didn’t Want Him Around’
Anthony Scaramucci had initially planned an Internet event of his own, but that was canceled last week. Let's see if we can find a viable alternative", Scaramucci told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on " New Day ".

Norwich City v Chelsea
If he starts or comes off the bench against Norwich City on Saturday, Willian will reach 200 Premier League appearances for Chelsea .

Trump slaps retaliatory tariffs on Chinese goods
Starting October 1, $250 billion in Chinese products now being tariffed at 25 per cent would be hit with a 30 per cent tariff. The Twitter storm Friday came as Federal Reserve officials gathered in Jackson Hole for the central bank's annual symposium.

Other news