Premier said in just a couple days Marie was put into a medically induced coma as her limbs began turning necrotic and then gangrene. "It has the ability to induce your immune system to do some pretty frightful things".
Marie says she lay down and woke up with her limbs partially amputated.
Trainer was trying to nurse her symptoms at home, until her fever spiked. "It was very hard to find out that they had to remove my legs and my arms. very hard to cope with".
"Rarely, Capnocytophaga germs can spread to people through bites, scratches, or close contact from a dog or cat and may cause illness, including sepsis", the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. The bacteria causes blood clots that reduce blood flow, which is what eventually led to the amputations, without which she would have died.
A small cut on an OH woman's arm and a friendly lick from her dog led to what a GoFundMe campaign calls a "perfect storm"-and to the amputation of all her limbs".
According to doctors, Trainer got infected after her dogs licked a scrape on one of her arms.
It was there that her family learned she needed to undergo amputation, though they still didn't know what was wrong.
"It was so rapid in progression. there was nothing they could do", Premier said. Such a severe reaction is very rare and only happens to roughly one in a million people.
Last year, a man from Wisconsin, Greg Manteufel, had to have both his hands and legs amputated after he picked up an infection from the tongue of his dog, USA Today reported. Greg Manteufel has undergone at least 10 surgeries during which surgeons amputated parts of each of his limbs because circulation to his extremities shut down due to the infection.
This depends upon how the immune system handles it.
Both Dr. Kobe and Marie still love dogs and don't want to terrify owners.
While she can't wait to be reunited with her two dogs, Marie does admit she has a lot of healing to do, and will have to lean on her family for support.
BTW, she and Matthew don't blame the dogs and will NOT be getting rid of them. "If you get bit by a dog you definitely need to go on antibiotics and to wash your hands when playing with a dog, especially with an open cut", she added.
Also, if you see ANY signs of infection after interaction with a pet and an open wound, seek medical attention immediately!
Instead, they're focused on Marie's recovery. She said she is thankful that her husband has been such a source of inspiration while she recovers.
"He's here every day for me... every day he feeds me, and dresses me here every day", Marie said of her husband, breaking down in tears. I mean what do you do?
Trainer was in a coma for 10 days, had a total of eight surgeries, and spent 80 days in the hospital - but she lived.
A GoFundMe page has been created in hopes of raising funds to cover Marie's medical bills.