Huawei files to trademark mobile OS around the world after U.S. ban

Tencent, Xiaomi, Oppo Reportedly Testing Huawei’s HongMeng OS

More details continue to emerge concerning Huawei's self-developed smartphone operating system.

President Donald Trump's administration last month put Huawei on a blacklist that barred it from doing business with United States tech companies such as Alphabet Inc, whose Android OS is used in Huawei's phones.

China's Huawei has applied to trademark its "Hongmeng" operating system (OS) in at least nine countries and Europe, presumably preparing to roll it out after the Android ban. While it is still believed that creating a market-ready alternative to Android is near impossible, the report says otherwise.

A Huawei company logo is seen at a shopping mall in Shanghai, China June 3, 2019. "Rather, forcing network operators to rip out and replace their existing equipment would pose a greater threat to network stability and security".

Moreover, the newspaper also claimed that the new operating system is 60% faster than Android, which falls in line with Huawei's head of smartphone business Richard Yu, who also claimed the same.

The email suggests that AppGallery has 560,000 developers now in the community, and that the platform comes preloaded on every Huawei phone sold globally, reaching 270 million monthly active users.

Once Huawei's OS formally hits the street, there will effectively be two kinds of Android operating system: the genuine version and a Huawei version which will be compatible to all Android apps. A Tianfeng Securities analyst thinks an October release is on the cards, but at least at first, Huawei could keep the OS exclusive to low-end devices, as its features may not initially meet the needs of high-end users outside of China.

Do Androids dream of Hongmeng?

"They're doing it by their own desire because, for many of them, Huawei is one of their major customers", he said.

Andrew Williamson, vice-president of Huawei's public affairs and communications, said Hongmeng was moving forward. Because it's no longer allowed to use Android and Windows on its devices, the Chinese tech giant had to push back several devices, including a Windows laptop that was originally projected to launch this week.

Huawei representatives in Peru declined to provide immediate comment, while the Chinese embassy in Lima did not respond to requests for comment.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Lucas Torreira fuels AC Milan transfer links
Despite the speculation, the 23-year-old hinted that he hopes to get used to his new surroundings in the years to come. AC Milan want to sign Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira, but the deal is claimed to be considered tough to pull off.

Barbara Corcoran says brother 'died of natural causes' in Dominican
However, the FBI has launched a joint investigation with local authorities in the Dominican Republic, NPR reported Wednesday . A representative for Barbara Corcoran confirmed the 64-year-old's death to NBC News , according to Today.

Nadal wins record 12th French Open title over Thiem
He swept the first 10 points of the third set, carving out a double break for 3-0 before sweeping to a third break for the set. It lived up to expectations which, to me, were by far the best two sets of the men's tournament over the two weeks.

Cricket World Cup is the wettest in history
The issue has since been sorted out and Holding will continue commentating, the source added. Even Windies captain Jason Holder was wrongly adjudged lbw.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer speaks out on Man United’s first summer signing
Now with James on board (a natural winger), it should mean Manchester United have more variety in their attacks. James told manutd.com: "Last season I didn't think I was going to get much first-team football ".

Other news