Bryan Singer to Pay $150,000 to Rape Accuser | Bryan Singer

Bryan Singer

In January, The Atlantic published a yearlong investigation of allegations against Singer from several men who said they were underage when Singer allegedly assaulted them.

Cesar Sanchez-Guzman filed a lawsuit against Singer in 2017 after alleging the director raped him on a yacht in 2003 when he was 17. Singer denied the allegations.

Much-accused director Bryan Singer is settling a almost two-year old rape case involving a minor with a hefty payout, but strict insistence on his innocence.

In a filing on Wednesday, a bankruptcy trustee recommended that the court approve a $150,000 settlement with Singer.

Andrew Brettler, Singer's attorney, said his client still maintains his innocence.

According to Sanchez-Guzman's suit, Bryan Singer "lured Cesar into a room, shut the door and demanded that Cesar perform oral sex". The lawyer also noted that Singer has never been arrested for or charged with any crime.

Sanchez-Guzman's accusation is only one of the many against the director. The bulk of those claims represent student loan debt, which is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Some of the money will pay legal fees and some will pay creditors Sanchez-Guzman owed in bankruptcy court.

An amount of $61,000 will go to creditors, while additional funds would be used to pay for the administration of the case.

Sanchez-Guzman, who had previously filed for bankruptcy in 2014, had his case reopened in 2018 by a bankruptcy trustee, who argued that his claim against the X-Men director had not been originally listed among his assets, and that any proceeds from the case should be made available to his creditors, The Los Angeles Times reports. More recently, Millennium Films had hired Singer to direct "Red Sonja", but plans to shoot the film in Bulgaria this year were canceled.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Sunderland communities and MPs have their say on BBC's TV licence changes
Mansfield's MP Ben Bradley said the decision is "wrong", and that the BBC had let their viewers down. More than 90% of Echo readers have said the TV licence should still be free for all over-75s. .

NASA camera spots Star Trek logo on Mars
The dunes stood among the lava field like islands, and when they were eventually blown away by the wind, their footprint remained. The landmark was created from crescent-shaped dunes, called "barchan", that moved across the area of the planet.

'Flying objects' damaged Japanese tanker in Gulf of Oman: shipping company president
Washington has dispatched the destroyer USS Mason to the scene "to provide assistance", CENTCOM said in a statement. Its crew of 23 is safe after being evacuated by the nearby Hyundai Dubai vessel, it said.

Military cites report: Chinese ship 'accidentally collided' with Filipino fishing boat
The Philippines and China have always been involved in a maritime dispute over territories in the West Philippine Sea. The collision tests Duterte's embrace of Beijing, a major partner in his economic policy and infrastructure program.

Instagram is down: Service experiencing major outage
Popular social media service Instagram is down, with hundreds of users across the world reporting widespread outage. Along with complaints and animated gifs playing on the inconvenience, some offered words of wisdom.

Other news