The case was reported in the Bayan-Ulgii district, after the pair ate raw meat of a marmot - a type of rodent.
American Peace Corps volunteer Sebastian Pique said that after it was announced that there was a quarantine, people did not want to leave their homes for fear of catching the plague.
The ethnic Kazakh couple died on 1 May in Mongolia's westernmost province of Bayan-Ulgii, which borders Russian Federation and China.
However there is no inter-human transmission of bubonic plague, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Immediately a six-day quarantine was imposed, stranding numerous tourists.
Ochierpurev continued by saying the quarantine consisted of 118 individuals who were in contact with the couple.
Health authorities have warned against eating marmot meat, which they believe carries the bubonic plague germ.
The rodent is a known carrier of Yersinia pestis, the bacterium commonly associated with the highly contagious bubonic plague. The quarantine was lifted on May 7, 2019.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says modern antibiotics are effective in treating plague, but without immediate care the infection can cause serious illness or even death. However, if an individual does not receive care immediately, they can become seriously ill or die.
Bubonic plague is the most common form of plague and is caused by the bite of an infected flea.
The plague was responsible for millions of deaths in Europe and Asia in the 14th century.
Google redesigns Android Auto with cleaner look
Google is moving much of the machine learning that powers its assistant and other features from the cloud to the actual devices. You could ask Assistant about "my hotel" and it will know that you're referring to the place you're staying at.
Kylie Jenner urged mom Kris to go blonde #MetGala
Many Vogue cover stars got dressed up for the occasion including Katy Perry , Gigi Hadid , Hailey Baldwin , Lady Gaga and more. "It was unbelievable what she did, and what she showed the rest of us how to do it", Kris said.