School Shooting in Brazil Leaves 10 Dead, Over 20 Injured

School Shooting in Brazil Leaves At Least 8 Victims Dead

The state government of Sao Paulo said two teenagers, armed with guns and wearing hoods, entered the school and began shooting at students.

At the time of the shooting, reportedly, only secondary students were at the school.

However, current Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro signed a temporary decree in January that made it easier for citizens to buy guns in an effort to overturn the strict regulations of the past. Reports indicate that two shooters, identified as 25-year-old Luiz Henrique de Castro and 17-year-old Guilherme Taucci Monteiro, took their own lives following the attack. More than 1,000 children aged between 11 and 15 attend classes there.

The assailants reportedly were former students of the school, yet the motive of the attack remains unclear.

Anxious family members congregated outside the school alongside firefighters and security services, an AFP photographer at the scene said.

Sao Paulo´s state military police department told AFP that "several people were shot" when "an individual" entered the institution in Suzano and opened fire.

According to local firefighters, one of the victims worked at the school, while the other five were students.

While gun laws are extremely strict in Brazil, it is not hard to illegally purchase a weapon.

The wounded student who took shelter in her house could not speak.

Police arrived eight minutes after the shooting started, and the attackers were already dead, Salles said. Castro's body lay near Monteiro's, with the crossbow on the ground between the pair.

Sao Paulo State Governor Joao Doria said four children and two members of staff were among the dead.

"I was shocked with the scenes I saw inside that school".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Beto O'Rourke's presidential ambitions get reality check from Ellen K.
When the Des Moines Register/CNN/Mediacom poll was first run in December, O'Rourke placed third, the top choice of 11 percent.

Conor McGregor faces civil lawsuit after alleged cell phone robbery in Miami
The entire incident unfolded earlier this week when McGregor was leaving the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami around 5 a.m. McGregor was arrested the evening of the alleged incident and taken to the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center.

Chief health officer takes aim at misinformation in measles outbreak
Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, has released a statement regarding the measles outbreak and vaccine misinformation.

Bulls Roster & Starting Lineup vs. Lakers; No Zach LaVine
But because he signed a four-year contract with the Lakers last summer, there will be more hands to be played in L.A. These two teams met earlier this year in Los Angeles (January 15) with the Lakers winning, 107-100.

Online Sports Betting Market Growth
Benefits With the market high, sports betting is an activity that receives a high level of support from online betting companies. More betters are opting to forego the long lines at the cashier's counter and the unavailability of their favorite machines.

Other news