Ebola response in DR Congo 'failing' to contain outbreak, MSF says

Health workers help a patient into her bed at an Ebola treatment centre in Butembo. The seven-month-old epidemic has claimed 561 lives according to the health ministry

More than 900 people have contracted Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo since August 2018, according to CIDRAP News.

The DRC's current Ebola outbreak, its tenth to date, has killed at least 569 people. Another 304 people have been cured, and 223 suspected cases are still under investigation.

Efforts to control Congo's Ebola outbreak are being hampered by a "toxic" security situation including a series of attacks on treatment centres, medical chiefs working in the country have said. We have worries especially that right now we are painting the Ebola epidemic as a security emergency, this was said yesterday in the press conference of the Ministry of Health of the DRC.

3. On March 6, the nonprofit research charity Wellcome Trust shared plans to allocate $2.65 million for vaccine research in the Congo. "On the other hand, people are dying at home because they distrust the Ebola-fighting strategies, and not in the treatment centers".

In other developments, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) health ministry today reported seven new Ebola cases and responded to concerns about the response, which today included a visit from top World Health Organization (WHO) officials. More than 40% of Ebola deaths are still taking place in communities rather than at treatment centres, according to the group. In addition, we should win but also the trust of the population, - said Liu.

MSF had set his work in two places after an Unknown person had attacked the local treatment centers last week. In just the last month, "there were more than 30 different incidents and attacks against elements of the response", she said. It added that community members have demanded overall security improvements across the area and that a return to security is one of MSF's conditions for returning to Butembo and Katwa. "Thirty-five percent of people are not known for the chain of transmission, which means we don't know where they got it from", the worldwide president of Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) charity said during a press conference on Thursday.

The use of police and armed forces to compel people to comply with health measures against Ebola is leading to further alienation of the community and is counterproductive to controlling the epidemic.

"Ebola responders are increasingly being seen as the enemy", said the president of Doctors Without Borders.

"The police and the army are not involved in Ebola response activities and their role has never been to enforce sanitary measures".

The second largest Ebola outbreak in history is now taking place in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Bryce Harper Still Wants Mike Trout Despite Tampering Claims
New Phillies outfielder Bryce Harper alluded to the Phillies potentially signing free agent outfielder Mike Trout in two years. He probably knew that what he said Tuesday about Trout would earn him a slap on the wrist and also probably didn't care.

India says Pakistan hiding information by blocking access to bombing site
Pakistan faces growing global pressure to rein in Islamist groups that carry out attacks in neighbouring India. India's prime minister, Narendra Modi took the opportunity to back off further escalation.

Nirav Modi spotted in London, continuing diamond business, says British daily
When a journalist questioned him about his fraud in India, he just said no comment and avoided the questions. Nirav, who once posed with Hollywood stars and celebrities, has grown a beard and a handlebar moustache.

Google launches reading tutor app 'Bolo' for kids in India
Bolo is also designed with safety features so as to not collect any personal information about children using them. A report by ASER 2018 report hints that only half of the Class 5 students can read a Class 2 textbook easily .

Man United, PSG both interested in signing Dortmund’s Sancho
Manchester United are reportedly ready to splash well over £100 million on Borrusia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho this summer. He has nine goals and 14 assists this season and Dortmund extended Sancho's contract until 2022 in October a year ago .

Other news