Canada mosque shooter jailed for life | newkerala.com #99593

Quebec mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette to be sentenced Friday

A judge has begun reading a decision that will determine whether the man who murdered six worshippers in a Quebec City mosque in January 2017 spends the rest of his life behind bars.

Quebec Superior Court Justice Francois Huot called Alexandre Bissonnette's attack gratuitous and insidious as he handed down the sentence Friday.

As the judge read a detailed account of the shooter's actions, several people in the Quebec City courtroom wept.

Bissonnette, 29, pleaded guilty past year to six counts of murder and six counts of attempted murder in relation to the shooting at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre on 29 January 2017.

The Crown had recommended that his six life sentences be served consecutively, which would have totalled 150 years.

In the end, the judge said Bissonnette will not be eligible for parole until he served 40 years of his sentence.

In a decision that took almost six hours to read, Huot said a sentence of 50 years or more would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

A 2011 legal change allows Canadian judges to hand down consecutive sentences in the case of multiple murders.

The attack at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre in the quiet Sainte-Foy neighbourhood of Canada's oldest city, he concluded, will go down in Canadian history "written in blood" as one of this country's worst tragedies.

Bissonnette received a life sentence and can apply for parole after 40 years, but that doesn't mean he's likely to get parole.

Abdelkrim Hassane, 41; Khaled Belkacemi, 60; Aboubaker Thabti, 44; Azzeddine Soufiane, 57; and Ibrahima Barry, 39, were all shot in the place of worship.

Prosecutors had said that Alexandre Bissonnette's crime was so hateful and so obviously motivated by bigotry that he should receive the maximum penalty of 25 years for each of the victims the 29-year-old murdered on the night of January 29, 2017. Bissonnette's parents were also present. Six people were killed and 19 others were injured.

He told police investigators that he believed a terrorist attack was imminent and felt he "had to do something". He referred to numerous attacks in Europe as well as the 2014 shooting in Ottawa outside Parliament and said he "lost it" after learning Canada was preparing to take in more refugees.

However, Huot said under Canadian law he could only decide in 25-year tranches on parole, CBC News' Catou MacKinnon reported, and 50 years was "clearly excessive".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Hubble has discovered a mysterious dark storm on Neptune
This image, taken by Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3), reveals a vast bright stormy cloud cap across the north pole of Uranus. The other two are a dark storm was discovered by the spacecraft Voyager 2 in 1989, when he was flying past a distant planet.

Orlando Apollos rout Atlanta in AAF debut, 40
Ratings will be harder when the games are on CBS Sports Network and not CBS in primetime. "Those are the guys we're finding". The NFL Network has agreed to broadcast 19 games throughout the entire season, while CBS will air one AAF game per week.

Greek parliament approves protocol for Macedonia to join North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
Greece's ratification of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation accord will see Macedonia now call itself by its new name. In ancient times it was the cradle of Alexander the Great's empire, a source of intense pride for Greeks.

Lindor injury could open Indians spot for Taiwan's Chang
Cleveland Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor will reportedly miss about the next two months after suffering a calf strain. A three-time All-Star, Lindor batted.277 with 38 homers, 92 RBI and was tied for the league lead with 129 runs.

Tokyo 2020 Olympic medals will be made from recycled devices
Around 47,488 tons of old devices had been collected by October previous year , with more than 5m mobile phones handed over. The recycled metal has been collected from the Japanese public as well as businesses and industry.

Other news