Belgian student killed after eating plate of five day old pasta

KILLER PASTA A student died after eating leftover spaghetti

"Typically, food poisoning just causes stomach inflammation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, it doesn't typically cause acute liver failure, and even worse, we can't find out which bacteria is causing the problem because culturing it would take days - days A.J. doesn't have because his liver is quickly shutting down", Bernard said.

The young man, known as AJ, was found unresponsive after eating leftover spaghetti that had not been refrigerated. His parents, however, found him dead in the house 11 hours later, the Sun reported.

A Belgian student died after eating a plate of pasta that had been left on his kitchen bench for five days.

When AJ died in 2008 the case was featured in the US Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

It is believed that the 20-year-old, from Brussels in Belgium, microwaved the pasta five days after it was initially cooked. "Because the emetic toxin is preformed in food and is not inactivated by heat treatment, it is important to prevent B. cereus growth and its cereulide production during storage". While mild food poisoning is relatively common, it is very unusual for cases to escalate to this severity. However, very recently Dr Bernard who a licenced practitioner who studies and also owns a YouTube channel where he shares freaky medical cases described the whole case in form of a video and talked about how his liver failed.

Unnamed in case reports, the 20-year-old student used to prepare his meals for the week on a Sunday in an attempt to save time and money.

"The food poisoning that results from it is usually self-limiting, meaning one can recover from it through intrinsic bodily functions".

He added that AJ's case is uncommon, but not unheard of.

'Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they're fine, ' he said, 'but be careful of food left out for more than a few hours.

The student died in his sleep, within 10 hours after he consumed reheated pasts that he left at room temperature for several hours.

Another wrote: "I was eating some suspect leftover food while watching another medical video on YouTube, then this video auto-played".

I come from a big family so when I cook I tend to go a bit overboard with the quantity so there's nearly always extra food that can't be finished in one sitting.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

A last throw of the Brexit dice for Theresa May
An EU flag is seen outside the Houses of Parliament in London, Britain January 30, 2019. But we still do not know what exactly the House of Commons is actually for.

Apple To Sell Budget iPads Soon, But Without Face ID
It's been a number of years since Apple has updated either the iPad Mini or iPod Touch devices, but that could soon be changing. In a separate report from MacRumors , seven new iPads were recently spotted inside of the Eurasian Economic Commission Database.

USA starts returning asylum seekers to Mexico to await court dates
Mexican officials have maintained they had nothing to do with the policy, calling it a unilateral decision by the United States. They have also raised concerns that applicants sent back to Mexico will not have access to proper legal counsel in US courts.

Apple, Aetna Create Wellness Program Based on Apple Watch
CVS said 90% of participants reported a "health benefit" but did not elaborate on whether they saw improved health outcomes. Anyone looking to gamify their New Year's Resolutions and get a free Apple Watch out of it at the same time should be wary.

Dirk Nowitzki trolls Luka Doncic ahead of Rising Stars game
The competition on Team USA has the likes of Kings guard DeAaron Fox, Atlanta's Trae Young and Celtics forward Jayson Tatum . Voters had to select a minimum of three first-year NBA players and three second-year NBA players for each team.

Other news