New Jersey surfer dies from brain-eating amoeba

The real Jen See thrilling at buoy news

A 29-year-old surfer died from what is commonly known as a "brain-eating amoeba" after visiting a resort in Waco, Texas.

"After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within about 5 days (range 1 to 12 days)", the agency said.

Parsons said Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

NJ.com reported that by the time he was diagnosed, it was "too late to administer the drug that has been given to three of the only five survivors in North America".

It wasn't immediately clear when Stabile visited the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, but the facility voluntarily closed Friday.

This typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers.

It causes the nervous-system infection primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) by traveling up a person's nostrils and into their brain, but can not be transmitted if a person swallows water contaminated with the bug.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise awarness of the dangers posed by Naegleria Fowleri in Stabile's memory.

Above the infamous man-made wave in operation prior to its voluntary closure to be tested by the CDC. He also said he and his workers' "hearts and prayers" are with family and friends of Stabile and the New Jersey surf community.

CDC has already collected water samples and hopes to deliver conclusions by the end of the week.

CDC spokesperson Candice Burns Hoffmann said that preliminary test results should be ready next week and will provide recommendations to BSR Surf Resort for reducing potential exposures in the future, as reported by the Waco Tribune-Herald.

The fatality rate is over 97 percent and only four of 143 known infected individuals in the U.S. from 1962 to 2017 have survived.

However, people will not be infected by Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water.

According to his obituary, Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile was declared brain dead by physicians at the Atlantic City Medical Center on September 21, just one day after he was diagnosed with primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

N.C. State professor offers statement to Federal Bureau of Investigation on former friend, Kavanaugh
Kavanaugh's drinking habits in high school and college were a topic of debate during last week's Senate hearing, where Dr. Kavanaugh spoke to officers but did not want to say if "he threw the ice or not", according to the police memo.

Indonesia tsunami: Satellite images reveal extent of damage in earthquake-hit Palu
The death toll is expected to rise and could reach into the thousands as rescuers start to reach some of the hardest hit areas. The power company was working to restore electricity while the state oil firm had sent in fuel, officials said.

Sahi Vikas: Petrol, Diesel, LPG At Historic High
Subsidised LPG with effect from midnight Sunday will cost Rs 493.55 in Delhi , a statement issued by Indian Oil Corp (IOC) said. Consumers buy non-subsidised or market price LPG after exhausting their quota of 12 subsidised cylinders of 14.2-kg each.

How The FBI Will Investigate The Brett Kavanaugh Allegations
It's not now clear whether the Republican leadership has secured enough votes to ensure Judge Kavanaugh's confirmation. She says Kavanaugh's friend, Mark Judge , witnessed the attack and that two laughed at her.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 buyers can get Galaxy Watch for Rs 9,999
This should not be surprising since the Note 9 comes with twice the amount of RAM as the iPhone XS Max here: 8GB vs 4GB. Staple features like notification, alerts and memos will be available as soon as you synchronize your phone and watch.

Other news