Intel: How Saudi journalist's disappearance is becoming US election issue

Turkey demands convincing explanation on 'missing' Saudi journalist

The statement came out after reports published on Saturday night by various worldwide media, citing Turkish officials, alleged that Khashoggi was killed at the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul.

Turkey believes Khashoggi was killed after entering the building and claim the day he vanished 15 Saudi nationals arrived at an airport in Istanbul in planes belonging to a Riyadh-based company and visited the consulate before returning home.

"The official strongly denounced these baseless allegations", the agency wrote, adding that a team of Saudi investigators were in Turkey working with local authorities.

"We call for cooperation between Turkey and Saudi Arabia to conduct a prompt and impartial investigation into the circumstances of Mr Khashoggi's disappearance and to make the findings public", United Nations human rights spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani told a Geneva news briefing.

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said this week that the kingdom would allow Turkey to search the consulate for Khashoggi.

Turkish authorities suspect Khashoggi was murdered while inside the building, and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan says he is now personally involved in the case. the BBC reported. "It is not possible for us to remain silent regarding such an occurrence, because it is not a common occurrence", he said.

The crown prince and other Saudi officials have denied killing or abducting Khashoggi, saying they do not know where he is.

However, according to media reports, Turkish officials are increasingly convinced that the Saudis killed Khashoggi.

Further reports said that a group of 15 Saudis entered the consulate on the same day as Khashoggi and soon left the country, and that Khashoggi had been dismembered and smuggled out of Turkey in small boxes.

Khashoggi, 59, who was once close to the Saudi royal family and has served as an adviser for senior Saudi officials, left the country previous year to live in the U.S. in self-imposed exile, saying he feared retribution for his criticism of Saudi policy in the Yemen war and its crackdown on dissent.

A Turkish official told the New York Times on the condition of anonymity that a team of Saudi agents killed the 59-year-old writer within two hours of his arrival at the consulate, and then dismembered his body with a bone saw they had brought for the goal. No footage has emerged of Khashoggi leaving the consulate. Both spoke on condition of anonymity as the investigation was ongoing.

The van, which had diplomatic number plates, left in a convoy around two hours after Khashoggi entered.

"If the story that was told about the murder is true, the Turks must have information and videotape and other documents to back it up", Fred Hiatt, the Post's editorial page editor, told The Associated Press. "He writes out of a sense of love for his country and deep faith in human dignity and freedom".

His disappearance has sparked global concerns, particularly after Turkish sources said over the weekend that authorities believed he had been killed inside the consulate.

Khashoggi had fled his homeland in September a year ago and had been living in self-imposed exile in the United States, where he had applied for USA citizenship, Cengiz said. Those policies are all seen as initiatives of the crown prince, who has also presided over a roundup of activists and businessmen.

"The condition of the lost journalist, details on him and who is responsible for this will be uncovered", Omer Celik said.

The BBC was criticised on social media for airing the recordings without Mr Khashoggi's consent and before there is any definitive proof of his death. "Right now we are waiting persistently to see what the prosecutor will decide, what it will announce as a result of these pursuits".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Germany coach Low dismisses Klopp criticism of 'senseless' UEFA Nations League
On a personal level, I'm really enjoying my time with Chelsea. "If anything happened to Hazard they'd be in trouble". And Graeme Souness suggested that Chelsea need to sign a goalscorer in order to challenge for the title.

Kate Middleton Takes A Style Cue From Meghan Markle
Stepping out on Wednesday evening in central London at the Victoria & Albert Museum, the 36-year-old wore an Erdem dress. She also attended the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle on May 19.

This is what Hurricane Michael looks like from space
The Carolinas are still reeling from severe flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence less than a month ago. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

NASA astronaut, Russian cosmonaut make emergency landing after Soyuz rocket failure
Russian and USA space officials said that the crew is heading for an emergency landing in Kazakhstan at an unspecified time. The space agency later tweeted that search and rescue teams were headed to site where the astronauts were expected to land.

Two Britons reportedly killed as flash flooding hits Majorca
The weather agency, AEMET, said more heavy rainfall is expected Wednesday in eastern and southern parts of the Iberian peninsula. Another resident, Tomas Oliver, cleaned his house as he celebrated that all the damage in his household had been material.

Other news