US companies in China say tariffs are hurting

Trump has threatened to slap tariffs on nearly all goods the US buys from China

Thus far, no more trade negotiations are scheduled between the United States and China.

About half of American firms are making less money, and a similar amount are reporting higher production costs, according to the survey.

"This survey affirms our concerns: tariffs are already negatively impacting USA companies and the imposition of a proposed $200 billion tranche will bring a lot more pain", said AmCham Shanghai chairman Eric Zheng.

"We support President Trump's efforts to reset U.S".

"With the $200 billion round of tariffs looming, this is probably the best time for the United States to go back to the table with a "take it or leave it" type of trade demand", Robert Carnell, the chief Asia-Pacific economist at investment bank ING, said in a note.

But announcement of the new round of tariffs has been delayed as the administration considers revisions based on concerns raised in public comments, the people said.

Both countries are set to return to the table with the threat of new United States tariffs looming.

"The U.S. administration runs the risk of a downward spiral of attack and counterattack, benefiting no one", Zarit said in statement.

More than 52 per cent of respondents to the survey reported already suffering the consequences of such measures, mainly through increased inspections, slower customs clearance and "other complications from increased bureaucratic oversight or regulatory scrutiny".

Asked if the Trump administration would like to have additional trade talks with China, Kudlow said: "If they come to the table in a serious way to generate some positive results, yes of course".

China and the United States are set to return to the table with the threat of new USA tariffs looming after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin extended the invitation to counterparts in Beijing.

The U.S. -China Business Council (USCBC), a nonpartisan non-profit representing around 200 American companies, told Observer that, in recent weeks, the council has been hearing from U.S. companies about delays and challenges getting licensing approvals in China.

US President Donald Trump has instructed staff to move forward with the next round of tariffs on Chinese goods, US media have reported. They said almost one-third are thinking about canceling or postponing investment decisions. The new round would be in addition to $50 billion in Chinese goods that already face a 25 percent duty.

Last week, Apple sent a letter to the U.S. Trade Representative warning that the Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod, Mac mini, and Apple Pencil would all be affected by the then-proposed Trump tariffs.

President Trump on Thursday cast doubt on the possibility of a breakthrough in trade talks with China, saying he was prepared to hammer China's economy with tough new economic penalties if Beijing doesn't offer concessions. "There's some discussions and information that we received that the Chinese government - the top of the Chinese government wished to pursue talks".

Related:

Comments

Latest news

State of the Union 2018: The Hour of European Sovereignty
The number of legal obligations that promote transparency will increase trust among European citizens, particularly internet users.

A tricked-out iPhone XS Max costs more than a MacBook
As before, the dual cameras include a wide-angle and a telephoto lens, with are both equipped with optical image stabilisation. Additionally, iPhone XS and XS Max have increased water resistance, enduring up to the depth of 2 metres for up to 30 minutes.

David Wright to be activated for Mets' final homestand
During a press conference on Thursday, Wright announced that it will likely be the last series of his career. He characterized his rehab as a near-constant struggle.

SpaceX To Reveal Identity Of First Space Tourist
At that time, SpaceX said two people signed a deal with SpaceX to make a trip around the moon aboard a Falcon Heavy rocket. When asked if he himself is the passenger, he hinted that the mystery person is Japanese by tweeting the country's flag .

Trump declares administration ‘completely ready’ for Hurricane Florence
Its unclear exactly how many people fled, but more than 1.7 million people in the Carolinas and Virginia were warned to clear out. Boarding up his home in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Chris Pennington watched the forecasts and tried to decide when to leave.

Other news