Timeline of shark activity on Cape Cod this summer

Two people look out at the shore after a reported shark attack at Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet Mass. Saturday Sept. 15 2018

Police say a man has died after being attacked by a shark off Cape Cod in MA.

The victim was rushed to Cape Cod Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The man, who has not yet been identified, was swimming off the coast of Newcomb Hollow Beach when "he was bitten by what is believed to be a shark", the Wellfleet Police Department said.

The last fatal shark attack in MA happened in 1936.

The beach was closed to swimming, according to Wellfleet Police Lieutenant Michael Hurley.

A video shared by surfer Andrew Jacobs also shows dozens of Good Samaritans carrying the victim's body away from the water.

"I saw a worst nightmare unfold here", Booth said.

Chris Hartsgrove, acting deputy chief of Cape Cod National Seashore, said the injuries appeared to be from a shark.

Hurley said state police and the Cape Cod district attorney's office were handling the investigation and added: "Today is just keeping everyone out of water".

Harbourmaster Nathan Sears said: "We are witnessing sharks feeding aggressively in shockingly shallow water on an nearly daily basis over this past August".

Visitors to Newcomb Hollow Beach are greeted by a sign warning them to "Be Shark Smart". "This has turned into Amity Island real quick out here".

Just last month, a 61-year-old man suffered puncture wounds following another Cape Cod shark attack.

Reinhart said she hoped to discuss the incident with fellow Select Board members before saying anything further. The individual is now recovering from his wounds in a Boston hospital. "Right spot, wrong time, I guess".

The chamber noted, though, that interactions between sharks and humans are still rare, based on a study from the University of Florida.

However, shark sightings around the Cape have reportedly been more frequent this year, leading to several beach closings.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Strawberry sabotage: WA not affected by needle contamination
Queensland man Hoani Hearne wound up in hospital after swallowing part of a needle and developing severe abdominal pain on Sunday. "Kids chuck them in so not sure what both brands were.only complaint was tonight from "Delightful" strawberries ", she said.

Check Out The Canelo vs. GGG II Official Scorecards
Though Golovkin has a reputation as a knockout artist, he never seemed to hurt Alvarez, who credited his fight plan with the win. The three judges agreed on eight of the 12 rounds, and they all had Alvarez leading six rounds to three heading into the 10th.

Formula 1 provides first look at 2021 concept cars
We definitely want to have a queue of people that want to come into F1". "We're short of engineers of the future. Concept 1 which is where we started, Concept 2, a little bit more extreme, our ideas have started to form more.

How Apple got us to pay so much for the iPhone
Since the iPhone XS now supports dual SIM dual standby, it will show the particular SIM details for calls and messages. While the iPhone X came with iOS 11 out of the box, both the devices will be now running on the all-new iOS 12.

Hurricane Florence Is Generating 83-Foot Waves in the Atlantic
Unsure of what they might find when they return home, the couple went shopping for a recreational vehicle. "We're able", he said. Overall, risky storm surge is possible all the way from Edisto Beach, South Carolina, to the North Carolina/Virginia border.

Other news