His wife Dawn told Fox 6 Now in Milwaukee that her husband had bruising all over his body, but they couldn't figure out what had caused it. Doctors quickly realized this was no flu case.
Manteufel's family has already raised over $18,000 through a GoFundMe page focused on taking care of the West Bend man's upcoming plastic surgeries. In fact, up to 74 percent of dogs and up to 57 percent of cats have Capnocytophaga detected in their mouths.
Dawn, his wife, told Fox 6: "It hit him with a vengeance".
Not even a week later, his legs were amputated.
Greg Manteufel of Wisconsin, had to be rushed to the hospital as a result of an infection caused by coming into physical contact with saliva from a dog. The amputations were necessary after the infection caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop drastically, which severely reduced blood flow to his limbs and led to tissue death.
To save his life, doctors were forced to amputate his legs from the knee down, then his hands. Surgery is scheduled to remove a portion of both hands as the damage from the sepsis is to extensive. Thankfully, it's also very rare, affecting only 0.67 people per million in a nationwide survey in the Netherlands, so dog owners shouldn't worry too much about their beloved pet landing them in a medical catastrophe. "He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time".
One 2014 study from Japan found the bacteria to be present in 69 percent of dogs and 54 percent of cats. "People with weakened immune systems include, for example, those who drink alcohol excessively, who have had their spleens removed, and who have HIV infection or cancer". The Centers for Disease Control list specific factors that increase people's risk of getting sick from the bacteria.
"This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs".
Manteufel contracted Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but there are other species of the bacteria that cause lesser side effects compared to what he had to go through.
Exactly how Manteufel contracted the bacteria is unknown, but doctors suspect that a lick from his own dog likely started the entire process. Symptoms typically appear within three to five days, but can take up to two weeks. His case is particularly unlucky because for the infection to be passed on the dog usually has to bite you.
How to watch Manchester United vs. Real Madrid, ICC
So, I think we have fantastic players, but, of course, always managers want to improve their teams, but it's not my business. If it is possible, good, if it is not possible we keep fighting, working and believing in the players that we have".
Protesters to call for arrest of Minneapolis officers
Blevins presented a danger to the lives of Officer Schmidt and Officer Kelly", Freeman said in the statement obtained by KSTP . The videos released Sunday night show Officers Justin Schmidt and Ryan Kelly chasing 31-year-old Blevins on foot June 23 .
Dillian Whyte reacts to his victory over Joseph Parker
For Whyte he feels beating Parker moves him closer to the rematch against his rival Joshua, and another shot at the world title. Whyte would be buzzed and rocked by Parker from the onslaught of hard shots nearly snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.