Asia Argento Reached Settlement Deal With Sex Assault Accuser

Open this

Lawyers for Argento and Bennett agreed to a deal in which Argento would pay him $380,000 over a year-and-a-half, beginning last April, according to report.

Argento became a powerful voice for the #MeToo movement after accusing Weinstein of raping her when she was 21 in his hotel room in 1997 during the Cannes film festival.

Asia Argento, one of the first actresses to publicly accuse Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault, reportedly paid off a young male actor who accused her of sexual misconduct just months after she came forward about her alleged incident with the disgraced mogul. She was 37. The age of consent in California is 18.

Since the New Yorker exposé, Weinstein has been charged in NY with six felony counts of sex assault, including rape.

Argento and her representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Huffpost, nor did they provide a comment to the Times.

Bennett says in the notice that he had sex with Argento in a California hotel in 2013. Three people familiar with the case said the documents were authentic, the Times reported.

The New York Times published a report on Sunday citing court documents the paper had received, via encrypted email from an anonymous source, showing that a now 22-year-old actor accused the Italian actress and director of "sexual battery" when he was 17 years old.

The notice claimed that Argento's "sexual battery" of Bennett left him with lasting emotional trauma that rendered him unable to make a living, the report said.

The claim and the following arrangement for payments are laid out in documents between lawyers for Argento and Bennett, who once played her son in 2004's The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things. Bennett declined an interview with the Times.

The notice says the encounter traumatised Bennett and hurt his career, the Times reported. "We are not going to allow you to get away with it".

Earlier this year, Argento's boyfriend, celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain, died by suicide.

Through his attorneys, Bennett reportedly sent a letter of intent to sue Argento in November 2017, a month after she contributed to an explosive New Yorker report detailing numerous allegations of sexual assault against mega-producer Harvey Weinstein.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Clever Messi Free Kick Helps Barcelona To Opening Win
But Celta Vigo were back on level terms early in the second half when Aspas converted a cross from left-back Junior Alonso. Real Madrid get their league campaign under way on Sunday, at home to Getafe (21:15 BST).

Trump Cancels Military Parade, Blames DC Officials
On Thursday, Pentagon officials told CNN the actual costs would be $ 92 million , or $80 million more than the original estimate . City Council balked at Trump's announcement of a parade this year and openly anxious about road fix and other costs.

Ronda Rousey Booked For First 'WWE Raw' Match
The Bludgeon Brothers will take on either Cesaro and Sheamus or The New Day with the SmackDown Tag Team Championship on the line. Strowman's Money in the Bank contract will be up for grabs as Kevin Owens after his steel cage match victory at Extreme Rules.

Indycar driver airlifted to hospital following Pocono crash
Wickens then collected the catch fence and pirouetted along the safety fence. "We'll rest it up and be fine", said Hinchcliffe. The 29-year-old Canadian driver was attempting to pass Ryan Hunter-Reay when the two cars slightly touched.

Guardiola: Mourinho is right, you can't buy class
My reaction is if you are a rich club you can buy top players, but you cannot buy class. We made mistakes we shouldn't make.

Other news