Millennials said to be worst tippers

Millennials are the cheapest generation when it comes to tipping with 10 percent reporting they regularly leave no tip whatsoever when they go out to eat

Hot tip for millennials: Tip your waitstaff.

Americans 65 and old are better bets for those who rely on tips to earn a living, with nearly 55 percent of senior citizens saying they tip 20 percent or more at restaurants.

The study also showed 27 percent of millennials think restaurants should charge more and eliminate tipping altogether, possibly because of more worldwide travel.

Eighteen percent of millennials typically decline to leave any amount when presented with pre-entered tipping options in a taxi or ride-hailing service like Uber or Lyft, at a food truck, at a coffee shop, or other similar types of businesses, versus 12% of older adults.

"In some ways, it's not surprising at all because of the well-documented financial struggles of millennials - whether it's struggling to get their feet under them career-wise, or student loan debt, or any of myriad other reasons", Matt Schulz, senior industry analyst at CreditCards.com, told Moneyish. "It's across the board", Schulz said. That's the conclusion of a survey released Monday, which found young adults to be far less generous than older generations when it comes to rewarding their servers at restaurants. He said he makes about $20 an hour, though, on a good day, because of tips. The survey says the millennial generation - those ages 18 to 37 - are cheap when it comes to taking care of restaurant servers.

Waiters and waitresses serving younger adults beware: you may not receive a big tip - or, in some cases, any at all. Men, southerners, westerners, parents with young children, lower earners and the less educated said they tip less in restaurants than the overall median of 18 per cent, according to the study.

The Emily Post Institute prescribes a 15 to 20 percent pre-tax tip for sit-down wait service at a restaurant and 10 percent pre-tax for wait service at a buffet. As for home delivery, go with 10 to 15 percent, or $2 to $5 for pizza "depending on the size of the order and difficulty of delivery".

Meanwhile, the older generations prefer the traditional tipping system, with only 1 in 4 Gen Xers, ages 38 to 53, and only 13% of Baby Boomers, ages 54 to 72, saying they'd pay for higher food prices in place of tipping.

About 45 percent of the childless tip 20 percent, on average, compared to less than 34 percent of moms and dads. While 22 percent of those givers said the donation was solicited through their company, the other 78 percent gave on their own.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

John Cena Tells Nikki Bella He Is Willing to Have Vasectomy Reversed
However, Bella is claiming that they are not together and they are trying to "work things out". I would never, ever say something like this ...

Brazil lead Switzerland 1-0 at halftime
Brazil joined the list of big teams struggling to win their opening matches at the World Cup in Russian Federation . Zuber connecting with Xherdan Shaqiri's corner to header past the helpless Alisson.

Costa Rica vs. Serbia - Football Match Report
The goal wouldn't have counted, as Milinkovic-Savic was offside, but it was a handsome effort nonetheless. The Costa Rican bench were not impressed with the Serbian's vigorous efforts on the sideline.

New Fortnite Update 4.4 Launches Soon, Stink Bomb Likely On The Way
While you're waiting for Fortnite's next content update to drop, you can enjoy the new Omen outfit and Oracle pickaxe. Thursday, June 21 is when the update should become available, and that will probably implement this new grenade.

U.S. Open 2018: Final results, leaderboard (Brooks Koepka winner)
USGA CEO Mike Davis asked for a "mulligan" after Saturday's round, which didn't appease at least one golfer. As it turned out, it also cost him a playoff with champion Brooks Koepka , who finished at 1-over.

Other news