Next Essential Phone cancelled, company up for sale

Andy Rubin Essential Phone

According to a report from Bloomberg, the firm, which had released the Essential Phone a year ago and had been working on a sequel has shelved all development of the sequel and is now considering selling itself off.

Essential's first smartphone launched last August following a multi-week release delay. Essential is now actively shopping itself to potential suitors, one of the people said.

"We always have several products in development at the same time, and we decide to cancel some in favor of those that we consider to be hits".

In a tweet after the Bloomberg report was published, Rubin insisted that the company was putting all of its efforts towards "future, game-changing products" but did not address the report that the company was for sale. We suppose only time will tell as to what will become of the company, but in the meantime if the reports are true, would you miss them? If that did, in fact, happen, it would mean Google had bought Andy Rubin twice for his products.

At this stage there are no definite statements from either company involved in the sale process and until we do hear that nothing is set in stone. Also, the company is now looking for a potential buyer to acquire the mobile business and development.

The Essential Phone itself did not get any good sales traction. Actual number of units sold remains a mystery, but it can be deduced that Essential may have only been able to sell less than 88,000 units. These plans have since been shelved and it is believed the engineers working on the PH-1's successor have focused their attention on an smart home device, instead. That way, it can stay in the smartphone game and get out of the hard development process at the same time. You know that weird people like me love it, but the phone was filled with all sorts of issues and required a steep and permanent price drop nearly immediately in order for the company to move any inventory.

Rubin has also emailed employees, which The Information obtained. Also, many top executives such as Brian Wallace who worked as the vice president of marketing and Joe Tate who served as the head of hardware engineering have left the company.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Baboon escapes cage at San Antonio International Airport
American released a statement , saying the monkey was being taken to an animal sanctuary and refuge. The primate passenger escaped its crate as it was coming from the aircraft to the baggage area.

Canada Blocks Chinese Takeover on Security Concerns
The decision to block the deal comes after months of intense opposition due to national security and competitive concerns. Lawrence Seaway, and the Halifax shipyard, among others, according to CTV News Canada . (15%).

'4 Years Down and Forever to Go' With Kanye West
West has been making a lot of headlines lately, from calling slavery a "choice" to changing his tune on President Donald Trump . Meanwhile, Kim previously admitted she feels like the "luckiest mom in the world" to have her "three babies".

Indonesia's ride-hailing firm Go-Jek to launch in Southeast Asia
Go-Jek said the company would take an approach slightly differs from the new market entry practice adopted by Grab or Uber. A Go-Jek motorcycle taxi driver ferries passengers in Jakarta, Indonesia Thursday.

High hopes but tough road for black woman in Georgia governor's race
Republican candidates for the open seat for governor will spend the next two months battling it out in a runoff, since neither Lt. Senator Johnny Isakson, who defeated another rare African-American statewide nominee (and another perceived centrist), U.S.

Other news