Umtiti considering leaving Barca over wage disagreement

Andre Gomes of FC Barcelona reacts the La Liga match between Real Betis and Barcelona at Estadio Benito Villamarin

Samuel Umtiti's future at Barcelona is in danger.

Spanish portal Don Balon claims that Umtiti and his representatives, are locked in negotiations with Barcelona chiefs, but an agreement is seemingly way off due to the fact that the French global is asking for a wage increase which would see him earn in excess of €9m-a-season.

According to the report, Umtiti wants to be in the same salary bracket as the likes of Andres Iniesta and Luis Suarez, while the club feel his demands are too high.

Umtiti has been linked to Old Trafford for several months and a deal appears to be edging closer to completion after Barcelona refused to pay the Frenchman what he wants.

Jose Mourinho is interested in him and with Umtiti's release fee priced at 60m, he is one of the best options on the market.

And the saga has taken another twist with the news that Mourinho has already promised the player that United are ready and willing to meet his wage demands - with Catalan paper Sport claiming the United boss made a personal call to try and woo the former Lyon man last week.

The "feeling" between the two sides is not promising. That would have been in January 2019 for Umtiti, but they didn't mind starting a bit earlier, considering Umtiti a special case.

Samuel Umtiti's current deal still runs until June 2021, but the club are keen to extend contractl because it includes a €60 million (R869 million) release clause.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Box Office Collection Day 5: Ajay Devgn's 'Raid' crosses 50cr mark
The film is primarily shot in Lucknow and also features Saurabh Shukla, Pushpa Joshi and Sulagna Panigrahi in pivotal roles. Meanwhile, the good run of Raid has curtailed the innings of all other Hindi films that were playing in theaters.

White Sox Rehire Groundskeeper who Served 23 Years on Wrongful Conviction
After spending 23 years in prison for a crime he did not commit, Nevest Coleman is back at work with the Chicago White Sox . In February, Coleman's name was officially cleared and he was granted a certificate of innocence.

Karnataka Assembly elections: Polling on May 12, counting on May 15
For the Congress, winning is imperative in the face of its diminished presence in most other states. The Election Commission announced that the elections in the state will be held in a single phase.

Investigators into fatal Russian mall fire say exits were blocked
The most serious case is an 11-year-old boy whose parents and siblings died in the fire, Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova said. Scores of children are feared to be among at least 64 people killed in a fire that swept through a busy Russian shopping centre.

64 dead in fire at Russian shopping mall packed with children
Yevgeny Dedyukhin, deputy head of the Kemerovo region emergency department, said the area of the fire was about 1,500 sq m. As well as those killed, 11 injured victims are being treated in hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation.

Other news