Geoffrey Rush to sue Daily Telegraph

Geoffrey Rush in King Lear

Geoffrey Rush has launched defamation proceedings against The Daily Telegraph after the News Corp masthead published a story about "inappropriate behaviour" allegations made against him.

'It is an action I am taking in order to address the slurs, innuendo and hyperbole they have created'.

"They have splashed spurious claims with bombastic titles on their front pages".

The 66-year-old said the allegations had affected a range of people including his children, his wife and colleagues in the film, television and theatre industry.

The situation is intolerable and I must now seek vindication of my good name through the courts.

The Telegraph's editor Chris Dore said in a statement that his newspaper "accurately reported the Sydney Theatre Company received a complaint alleging that Mr Geoffrey Rush had engaged in inappropriate behavior".

Rush's solicitor, Nicholas Pullen, stated that the court documents had only been filed with the Federal Court of Australia earlier today, and that this press conference would likely be the first anyone at the Daily Telegraph would've heard of them.

There's no court date as yet, but we'll keep you posted.

The legal action comes just months after Hollywood actor Rebel Wilson won Aus$4.5 million (U.S.$3.4 million) - the largest defamation payout in Australian history - after successfully suing Bauer Media. (AAP) The allegations stem from Rush's time with the Sydney Theatre Company's production of King Lear.

The actor resigned the president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards after the allegations emerged and missed this week's awards ceremony.

"Further, he has not been informed by them of the nature of the complaint and what it involves".

The complaint was made after the play had ended in January 2016, but no details have been published. In the circumstances, if such a statement has been issued by the STC it is both irresponsible and highly damaging to say the least.

Related:

Comments

Latest news

Derrick Rose will meet with team officials to begin comeback process
The move has paid off, as Wade is averaging 12.9 points per game on 48 percent shooting since taking on a reserve role October 24. Earlier this week, LeBron James began the campaign for Dwyane Wade as the No. 1 candidate for Sixth Man of the Year .

China criticizes India over drone crash inside border
China said the drone crashed in "recent days" but didn't say where. According to the reports, the drone has crossed the LoC at Sikkim.

Interns' Questions on LGBT Rights and More Throw Jeff Sessions Off Balance
During a question-and-answer session between Justice Department interns and Sessions over the summer, the attorney general mocked and derided an intern that dared question part of that agenda.

SoulCalibur VI will release for PC in 2018
Big news this evening as Bandai Namco announced Soulcalibur 6 during the 2017 Video Game Awards. In the announcement trailer we see Sophitia fighting someone who resembles a younger Mitsurugi.

Queensland election: Labor to form government as LNP concedes defeat
Treasurer Curtis Pitt is expected to be on the chopping block, amid reports he could be moved into the Speaker's role. EARLIER @ December 6, 8.20am: It looks like Labor has claimed the 47th seat it needs to form a majority government.

Other news