A fisherman nearly died after a Dover Sole he had caught jumped down his throat. Cardiac arrest means that the heart suddenly stops beating.
The man had been clowning around with the 14cm fish and put it over his mouth however it squirmed free and bounced down his throat - causing a total blockage.
With the 6-inch fish stuck in his throat, the man stopped breathing and had a cardiac arrest on the pier in Bournemouth, the Telegraph reports.
Crews were directed along the dimly-lit pier to discover a friend of the casualty was already performing CPR.
South Western Ambulance Service said medics were called after an angler received the shock of his life when he attempted kiss a 15-centimetre Dover sole fish in celebration before it jumped down his throat.
An angler had to be resuscitated after accidentally swallowing a fish he had just caught during a prank. They said they were very concerned that if the fish broke up as they were trying to hook it out the patient would die.
Operations officer Martyn Box also attended the incident.
Further assessment of his airway indicated that despite artificially ventilating him with a bag and mask, his chest remained silent, suggesting that there was total airway occlusion and despite best efforts he was not receiving any oxygen.
"I used a laryngoscope to fully extend the mouth and throat and saw what appeared like an altered colour of tissue in his throat".
The ambulance service said on Thursday the man, who has not been identified, suffered "no lasting effects" from the mishap.
Mr Harrison said the fish's barbs and gills became stuck but he eventually succeeded in extracting it in one piece.
Harrison said the fish, a dover sole, finally came out after six attempts.
After the patient arrived at hospital, he was able to respond to some questions, and has since made a full recovery.