Both the companies will expectedly recall more than a million vehicles in the land of South Korea and the U.S. Such a massive automobile recall will take place to due to some engine issues in numerous cars. Also included in this recall are the 2011 through 2014 Kia Optima sedans as well as the 2011 through 2013 Kia Sportage SUVs, and the 2012 through 2014 Kia Sorento SUVs.
The recall will reportedly affect Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe models as well as Kia Optimas, Sorentos and Sportages.
Potential engine stalling, according to the ministry, is caused by metal debris in crankshafts that could lead to engine damage.
The planned recall brings back the specter of quality issues that Kia and Hyundai have largely left behind, with the wide-ranging campaign expected to cost the companies tens of millions of dollars in the USA alone. Hyundai's recall covers approximately 572,000 examples of the 2013-2014 Santa Fe and the 2013-2014 Sonata.
Hyundai and Kia will send notices to vehicle owners who will be inspected by mechanics from their dealers.
Separately, Hyundai and Kia have sharply cut vehicle production in China, sources previously said, as anti-Korean sentiment and competition from Chinese brands play havoc on March sales and threaten earnings.
The transport ministry said the defect in the Theta 2 engine can cause vehicles to stop suddenly while they are driving. A seized engine also creates a safety hazard if it happens while the vehicle is on the road. This time, the surface of the crank shaft pin has been manufactured unevenly, leading to unnecessary noise and trembling of the engine.
Owners who may have serious engine problems, as indicated by a knocking sound, an oil-pressure warning light, a check-engine light, or all three, may be eligible for a new engine.
The recall is scheduled to begin on May 19.
The companies declined to comment on the cost of the recall.
Hyundai and Kia combined are the world's fifth-largest automaker.
Pence Visits Demilitarized Zone Between North and South Korea
In Seoul, Pence spent Easter Sunday at a church service with some of the 28,000 United States forces stationed in South Korea. NBC News reports the attempted launch occurred from the North Korean city of Sinpo, which is just 400 miles away from Japan.
Syria war: G7 seeks united front on Assad and Russia
President Donald Trump launched the first US direct attack against the Assad government early Friday local time. But Haley reiterated her statements about further actions in Syria in her interview with Tapper.